senior businesswoman at desk

Additional Tasks

Changing Your Supervisor

To change your supervisor:

  1. Sign in to LATS-NY.
  2. Your timesheet must be in an unsubmitted status. Click the "Save" button if your timesheet says "New Timesheet."
  3. Click on "Supervisor" and a pop-up window opens.
  4. Click on "Change" next to the original supervisor name and another pop-up window opens.
  5. Enter the new supervisor name in the blank box. Note: if the agency is different than your current one, you will need to use the drop-down to select the correct agency.
  6. Click on the new supervisor's name and click "OK."
  7. The new supervisor name will now appear.


download the change your supervisor guide

Checking Your Accrual Balances

To check your vacation, sick, or other leave accrual balances:

  1. Sign in to LATS-NY.
  2. Click on "My Timesheet."
  3. The current time period will open automatically. Scroll down to the bottom of your timesheet to see your "Balances and Earnings."
  4. There are categories for "Vacation," "Sick," "Personal," "Holiday," and "Floater." You may have more options depending on your negotiating unit and salary grade.
  5. You will see the balance of time you have remaining and the time you earned during the current pay period.
  6. If you want to see all your time off you can click on "Summary" located in the blue ribbon above your timesheet.

Emergency Contact Info

To enter or change your emergency contact information:

  1. Sign in to LATS-NY.
  2. Click on "My Timesheet."
  3. Click on "Contact Info." A pop-up window will open.
  4. Enter all the information for your primary contact or change any fields that need to be updated.
  5. Click on "Save" and you will get a message that your contact was successfully added.
  6. You can also change or edit your secondary contact by selecting the "Secondary Contact" button and going through the same process.


download the emergency contact information instructions

Alternate Approver

If your supervisor is out of the office or on vacation when your timesheet is due, you can submit it to an alternate supervisor. It is recommended that you have at least one alternate supervisor.

Follow the same steps above for selecting your alternate supervisor.

You may also have a Timekeeper that is assigned to your unit during your manager's time out of the office.

Contact the BSC Time & Attendance Team

Still have questions? Try the BSC Help Center where you can send a question to our support team or search a database of FAQs.

Contact us by email:

Mailing Address:

BSC Time and Attendance  
1220 Washington Ave
Building 5, Floor 6
Albany, NY 12226-1900

Contact us by fax:

(518) 457-1879