The Business Services Center provides shared services to standardize Human Resources and Finance transactions for New York State. Our efforts increase efficiencies, lower costs, and support agencies as they focus on core mission activities. Services are delivered by a highly motivated workforce committed to providing exceptional customer service.
In the 2012-13 Executive Budget, Governor Andrew Cuomo called for the establishment of a Business Services Center as one initiative in his plan to re-imagine and re-invent state government operations to increase the efficiency and effectiveness by standardizing and streamlining transactional Human Resources (HR) and Finance services that are common across agencies. The BSC was launched on September 27, 2012, and continues to evolve.
The BSC provides both HR and Finance transactional services. In HR the BSC offers Benefits Administration, Payroll, Personnel Administration, and Time & Attendance services. On the Finance side, the BSC provides Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Credit Card Administration, Purchasing and Travel & Expense.
Our Structure & Oversight
The OGS commissioner and deputy commissioner oversee all OGS program areas, including the Business Services Center. The BSC is organized into operational teams within the New York State Office of General Services:
- The customer care team is the primary link between the BSC and customer agencies providing agency staff with assistance while they are transitioning their finance and human resources transactions to the BSC and after the move is complete.
- The finance team executes finance transactions on behalf of state agency customers.
- The human resources team manages and executes HR transactions on behalf of customer agencies.
- The operational support teams provide project management and operational support for technology and business application development for the BSC and SFS administration.
- The administrative services team manages the onboarding and training of new BSC staff.
- The performance management team ensures the BSC is working towards metric-based performance goals.
The BSC is governed by the Customer Advisory Council, which includes representatives of customer agencies, to provide input into major decisions and continuous feedback about how the BSC is operating.